Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A word from a YE Teacher

 This guest post brought to you by former YE teacher Loren Kelly of Haysville Kansas' Campus High School.

Teaching for the Youth Entrepreneurs program has uncontested been the highlight of my teaching career. When approached with the opportunity, I jumped in head first and took the challenge. My favorite part of the program is the ease at which it fit into the classroom. Hands-on activities, field trips, and real-life lessons in business get students excited and yearning for more! When students walk in the classroom saying, “This is my favorite class!” or “Why can’t we have YE every day?” you know it is a program that is really making a difference.

One of my favorite aspects of the class was seeing the change in students. It kept me coming back day after day with more excitement and enthusiasm for my job. One student, for example, was very capable but just had not found something in high school that really helped them excel. Over the course of the year, I watched this individual become more passionate, out spoken, and motivated. Other faculty at the school asked questions and took interest in the change they also had noticed. That student will now leave high school with a self-confidence and new-found passion to be successful in the paths he or she chooses to pursue. I believe in the mission of Youth Entrepreneurs because I have seen the results and the impact the program has on students’ lives.

-Loren Stark Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment