Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A word from a YE Teacher

Being a transition teacher was one of the most frightening things I have ever had to do. Transition teaching means I was in the business world with no teaching degree and I decided to try out teaching while I took classes to get my teacher certification. When I interviewed for my job they said that I would be taking over the YEK class because they thought I would be a good fit, so I said no problem. As I got closer to the start date I realized that I had almost no idea of what I was doing and no idea what teaching YEK required at the time. 

Teaching YEK over the last 4 years has forced me to be more organized and ready for each day. I have to have the energy every day to keep up with the students because they don’t take a day off. It is a fantastic class because I can teach the kids things that happen around them every day and affect them. Things that they think are insignificant because they are happening around the world affect the places they shop and the things they do. It is fun because the class evolves every year as the business world grows and changes the class grows with it. Having the experiences of leaving the classroom and seeing how entrepreneurs in the real world operate is fantastic and also having business professionals in the area come in and speak really makes an impact on the kids in the class room. This class teaches everything that it takes to make it outside the walls of high school, the lessons that I get to teach is the knowledge that these students will remember 10 years from now. I feel privileged to teach such fun and interesting class.

-Jim Vanek

No comments:

Post a Comment