Monday, April 2, 2012

The Washington Journey

Guest blogger Teaira Ransom writes about her trip to DC with the Urban Economics Academy group. You can read Teaira's last blog here.




It’s three in the morning and time to load up the car to begin my adventure; soon I will be in a whole new atmosphere. My mind is on a rollercoaster of beautiful thoughts and imagining different scenery! In the beginning we all had one expectation in mind, we all wanted to have a fun time; somewhere in the middle is where everyone’s expectations started to change. Hence… frustration, let’s start from the beginning.




We started our learning expedition at the Cato Institute. Cato was a beautiful and newly renovated institution. Cato allows people to speak their minds on subjects that many people feel are taboo. This organization makes you think about every day issues in a different mindset. We learned more on things such as free markets and limited government. My favorite session was when we got to talk to someone who studies welfare reform at the Heritage Foundation. It was interesting because I had no idea a job such like this existed. Welfare is one of my favorite subjects to discuss so I was looking forward to hearing their point of views on the subject. On Tuesday we spent some time with the Charles Koch Institute. Jeff Proctor had us play the trading game. Although I have played the game before, it was even better because I felt like I learned more about trade and the risk involved. I love how they encouraged us all to join their summer programs and how they all were really enthusiastic.








Now here’s where things started getting a little heated. There were some mild differences within the group, but then again that is to be expected. There was some mild complaining amongst a few people, but then again that is to be expected. There was some attitudes being displayed but AGAIN…to be expected? WRONG!!! Appreciation people!! Yes the word is APPRECIATION!! I personally enjoyed everything, the walking and most of all the COMPLAINING, yes I enjoyed the complaining, I viewed it as a source of entertainment, but I must confess toward the end I had enough with the complaining and found my self wondering “umm didn’t Mr. B say if he had any problems he would send people home… umm can we get a shuttle to the airport ASAP”. I believe this trip has taught us all something special; everyone reacts different when they are placed in a different environment. All the arguments were so childish and unneeded. I believe that the trip would have went better for a lot of people if vitamin B12 was giving to each of the students. I also loved riding the subway and would love to live in D.C if I ever had the chance. The trip was fun, although I didn’t expect many of the things that happened on this trip. Again, I believe this trip was a learning experience and at the end of the trip I found myself asking the same question over and over. Would I ever do this again? Well… I guess you’ll just have to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment